Witnessing the Life of a Nest

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

The rate at which a bird's nest is built, eggs hatch, and baby birds develop and leave the nest is astonishing. Nothing short of a miracle. Take as look for yourself...



In June, I found this nest just outside my backdoor with five beautiful brown speckled eggs in it. Because I saw it each time I walked outside, I was able to witness the life of this Cardinal nest.

June 4, 2015
 If you've never been exposed to hatch-lings, it is hard to imagine how noisy they are. The moment I  stepped outside and heard all that squawking, I knew they were arriving. During their first night in the world, we had a strong storm and heavy rain. The shrub they were in blew back and forth like crazy. I went out the next morning expecting to find the babies tossed on the ground, but everyone was accounted for. Somehow these tiny little naked creatures, with mouths, survived the night.

June 15, 2015
The next picture was taken four days later. Look how much more space they took up. The nest is full. Their mother was diligent in delivering tasty treats, one right after the other, and she fussed at me, from a distance, every time I peeked at the babies.

June 19
This was on Sunday, by the next weekend they had all left the nest. When I realized they were leaving, two were already gone, one was sitting all wobbly in the shrub trying to keep its balance and one was left in the nest. I kept my distance so they wouldn't be frightened into leaving before they were ready.

Once they were all gone, one egg remained, unhatched.

Here's a Heart Rock for your Pocket:


Wishing you God's best,
Elaine

5 comments:

  1. "...a word spoken in due season, how good it is!" God used you to speak to my heart today and I am lifted up. Thank you for bringing His message and for the lovely photographs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos and great message. : ) I'm your neighbor over at the 'Still Saturday' link-up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm bird addict and you just made me smile!! I hope birds will fly up to heaven with me when I'm on my way to the Lord up there. I always think of them and smile when seeing them in our yard. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, wonderful shots and lessons. We all matter to God and everything happens in His time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been meaning to write you earlier to thank you for sharing the adorable bird nest with the family, how are they doing! Fabulous Friday is going on this week! Hope to see you there. Hugs Maria
    http://www.simplenaturedecorblog.com/fabulous-friday-party-34/

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Please leave a message.