Decorating with Vintage Suitcases

Friday, May 29, 2015

Someone recently asked me for decorating ideas using vintage suitcases. I do have a few scattered around the house so I thought I would share my ideas to inspire your own. The cases I have are each small and have served different purposes through the years.


This one was actually given to my son when he was small and he used to cart his hot wheels around in it. It's a little tattered, but I still love it and I love that big fat Bakelite handle.



I have it displayed in the living room on top of a bookcase with a few other treasures.


I also have one tucked up high on a shelf in my bathroom. This one used to go camping with us all the time. We used it to tote all of our bathroom supplies for those trips to the shower house. Boy, would I love to run away and go camping today!


It now serves as storage... this is where I hide my first-aid supplies.


One of the great things about old suitcases is the history they contain. This one has a name on it from one of those old label makers where you turned the wheel to the letter and then mashed the handle to press the image onto that thick piece of tape. You know the one... I can't remember what they were called. When I see the name, I often wonder who Ms. Eulalie Kline is.


I have another tucked into a stack of items under a table next to my bed. This one is heavy canvas and has a zip flap on the topside. It also has a name tag and address that have been attached for a very long time. I'm not about to separate them now. It's part of the charm. Mr. Stout must have traveled light.


Thanks to my friend Kay for asking for ideas. I've enjoyed remembering my sweet boy playing with his hot wheels and those ice cold showers at Albert Pike in Arkansas.

That's why I love old things! They stir up the past...

Here's a Heart Rock for your Pocket:
You have accepted Christ Jesus as your Lord. Now keep on following him. Plant your roots in Christ and let him be the foundation for your life. Be strong in your faith, just as you were taught. And be grateful. Colossians 2:6-7

Wishing you God's best,
Elaine


Join me over at:
From My Front Porch to Yours
Share Your Cup
Shabby Art Boutique
French Country Cottage
The Charm of Home
Nancherrow
Romantic Home
Thoughts from Alice
Found and Forged
Dwellings-Heart of Your Home
Inspiration Monday
The Scoop
Home Stories A to Z
Cozy Little House
Beyond the Picket Fence
Coastal Charm
DIY by Design
Ivy & Elephants
Savvy Southern Style
Work It Wednesday
Treasure Hunt Thursday
Share Your Cup
Feathered Nest Friday
Shabbilicious













3 comments:

  1. I love how you've used your suitcases in your decor, it's nice to see something besides just stacking them up! :o)

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clever ways to use suitcases. The green case is like one my Mom had when I was growing up. How I wish I had that luggage now!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great uses for your vintage suitcases! I love them as well and have a few around the house. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Please leave a message.