A Barb Wire Wreath & Mandevilla - Beautiful Opposites!

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

I had always wanted a barb wire wreath and when we bought the dairy there was one here! Explanation: When a rancher or farmer tears down a fence, they roll up the old barb wire and often drape it over a fence post. Years of exposure give it a perfectly aged, rusty patina that can't be duplicated. I immediately hung this one on the dairy ten years ago and it has been there ever since.


In May, I received a beautiful Mandevilla for my birthday and planted it in a bucket beneath the wreath with hopes that it would grow up onto it like a trellis...and it did!
I love the hard and soft elements together... beauty and the beast... good vs evil... the delicate and the harsh... total opposites living in harmony.
The delicate tendrils wind through the wire making a lovely contrast.
Birds have nested in the wreath every year since it's been here and you know how I love a bird nest. Right now there are two empty nests hiding in it.
The Mandeville began to creep around the side of the dairy so I placed my old iron headboard against the opposite wall and it is moving next door, which is okay with me. I'll have a totally different view from each side of the building.
This headboard belonged to my great-grandmother. She used it as a trellis in her yard. I'm just carrying on the tradition.
The Mandeville won't survive the winter here, but I will definitely be replacing it next spring!

Here's a Heart Rock for your Pocket:
Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. Romans 12:21

Wishing you God's best,
Elaine


Join me over at:
Savvy Southern Style
Creative Country Mom's Garden
Fishtail Garden
Adorned from Above
French Country Cottage
Shabby Art Boutique
Funky Junk
Rooted in Thyme
Thoughts from Alice
Finding Silver Pennies
Dwellings - The Heart of the Home 


















11 comments:

  1. I never heard of a barbed-wire wreath. Sounds painful ;) but yours in simply beautiful and perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We learn something new everyday! Thanks Bev!

      Delete
  2. Cute Wreath. Thanks so much for sharing with Wednesday's Adorned From Above Link Party.
    Debi @ Adorned From Above

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is sheer perfection - love love love !!!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Suzan! I love it, too! I hope you will visit again!

      Delete
  4. I love it, it is just wonderful! I have some leftover fencing that I have been wondering what to make out of it an I think you just inspired me...

    Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! You'll have to let me know how it turns out.

      Delete
  5. Lovely wreath and what a treasure to find! The mandevilla is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Oliva! It stops me in my tracks every time I walk by. It's too beautiful not to acknowledge.
      Have a great day!

      Delete
  6. Love this idea and the contrast between the wire and beautiful flowers. Thanks so much for sharing at the Vintage Inspiration Party.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Please leave a message.