Summertime Treats - FIGS!

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

One of things I look forward to each summer are the FIGS! They are such a special summertime treat. They are only in season a short time and they are very perishable, so they don't last long. You have to get them while they're ready and then you have to wait another year for it to happen again.
When I was girl, my parents had a fig tree and my mom would make fig preserves. They were luscious! Now I grow my own figs and I like them best picked right off the tree at the perfect moment of ripeness. Total yummy-ness! Perfect!
They also make a beautiful small tree for the yard or garden and live a very long time. Remember the tree I told you about at my parents, well it was there when they bought the home 35 years ago and it's still producing figs!
Of course, the fig was in the original garden that God made for man, how cool is that?! And, in biblical times a land was considered good if it contained fig trees...very interesting.
If you don't have your own fig tree, find a local farmer's market while they're in season. You'll be glad you did! Enjoy!

Here's a Heart Rock for your Pocket:
For the Lord your God is bringing you into a good land—a land with brooks, streams, and deep springs gushing out into the valleys and hills; a land with wheat and barley, vines and fig trees, pomegranates, olive oil and honey... Deuteronomy 7:7-8 (Sounds like heaven to me!)

Wishing you God's Best,
Elaine 

Join me over at:
Fishtail Cottage
Creative Country Mom's Garden
Feathered Nest Friday
Rooted in Thyme
Shabbilicious
Thoughts from Alice
Dwelling - The Heart of your Home
Finding Silver Pennies
Uncommon Designs
The Dedicated House
Stone Gable 
Coastal Charm
Cozy Little House
Knick of Time
Savvy Southern Style
 
 



 

7 comments:

  1. I love figs. They are one of my favorite fruits.
    Debi @ Adorned From Above

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I do not know if I have ever had a fig. Isn't that interesting...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're going to have to find a market that has them! You won't be sorry! Thanks for stopping by,
      Elaine

      Delete
  3. My parents had a fig tree when I was a child also. Interestingly, when we had our business our landlord also had a fig tree on the property right outside our office. In my opinion, few things can equal the taste of a perfectly ripe fig!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree, Doreen. Thanks for stopping by... come again!
      Elaine

      Delete

I love to hear from you. Please leave a message.