Building Rock Borders for Flowerbeds

Monday, June 2, 2014

Have I told you that I like rocks? Well, I do. When we first bought our place, there were several large rocks here and since we don't really have rocky soil, I think they may have been unearthed when the three water wells, that are on the property, were dug.
They are iron ore rocks which are native to our part of the country. Iron ore tends to have a rusty appearance with interesting coloration and formations and no two seem to be the same.
Last summer I began planning some new borders for our flowerbeds and started looking at rock to purchase, but nothing seemed to match our landscape. An old farmhouse (1932), old brick pathway (here), patio (here) and beautifully chiseled and uniform granite blocks didn't exactly go together. I began to get discouraged and then remembered the pile of rocks out in the pasture and suddenly I had a plan! Of course it involved my Mark and the tractor.
We hauled rocks and like a giant jigsaw puzzle fit them together around the flowerbeds. It became evident that we were going to need more rocks! I recruited my family to help locate as many rocks as possible.
My dad brought me a load.
My son and grandson road the back roads with me and we found several nice ones in the ditches and creek beds and had a blast together.
 We used larger stones to create boundaries for the corners of the yard and would still like to one day completely line the driveway. That's going to require more rocks!
It was a lot of hard work, but I am very pleased with the way they turned out. I love the natural feel and informal appearance the borders have, but most of all I will remember and cherish the memories that are built into them.

Here's a Heart Rock for your Pocket:
Some of the Pharisees in the crowd said to Him, “Teacher, rebuke Your disciples.” But Jesus answered, “I tell you, if these become silent, the stones will cry out!” Luke 19:39-40

Wishing you God's best,
Elaine

Join me over at:
The Scoop
Funky Junk
Inspire Me Please
Craftberry Bush
Thoughts from Alice
Shabbilicious
Fishtail Cottage
French Country Cottage
Home Sweet Garden Party
 





1 comment:

  1. I love rocks too! Fortunately I have lots, just have to get the motivation to go up the hill and load them up, but every day lately it has been to warm or humid. Still on my list to do! Enjoyed your post!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Please leave a message.